View profile on Avvo
Avvo Rating 10
10 Best
The National Trial Lawyers

The Process Of Sealing Your Juvenile Record In The State Of California


If a minor is involved in a crime, then their involvement in this crime, as well as any other related information, will be placed into a juvenile record.

Many people assume that this California juvenile record is automatically sealed – or, in turn, that its contents are expunged – when the minor turns eighteen.

But, this assumption is incorrect.

If you would like to seal your juvenile record, there is a specific process that you must go through. By reading this quick guide and speaking with a California juvenile criminal law attorney, you will be able to do so quickly and easily.

The Process Of Sealing Your Juvenile Record In The State Of California

Step 01: Fill Out The Proper Form

Right away, the first thing you must do is fill out a form titled “Request to Seal Juvenile Records.”

Some probation departments may give you a different form. If this happens to be the case, you must fill out that form instead of the form found in the link.

Step 02: Bring The Form To Your Probation Department

Right after you fill out your “Request to Seal Juvenile Records” form, you must bring it to the probation department in which the juvenile record is held.

Just as an example, if you have a juvenile record in Orange County, you must bring it to the probation department within Orange County.

Some counties require you to bring this form to the local court. And if that is the case, then you must bring it to the local court.

Step 03: The Probation Department Gives Your Form To The Court

The probation department will give your form to the local county court. But that’s not all they must give to the court, as the probation department must also provide the following:

  • A list of people who might have a record of your case.
  • A list of prior contacts with law enforcement or probate.

Just for clarity’s sake, the probation department has ninety days to give your form to the local county. This period turns into 180 days, though, if you have juvenile records in multiple counties.

Step 04: A Decision Is Made

The fourth and final step in the process is as follows: a decision is made.

Right before a decision can be made, the court must go over your request. Sometimes, the judge decides right away. Other times, though, a judge chooses to conduct a hearing. If there is a hearing, then you will receive a notice of this hearing in the mail.

Sometimes, a hearing is “unopposed.” This means that you can choose not to show up to the hearing and that, in doing so, there will be no penalty.

If the above is not true, you will need to show up to the hearing. And, while there, you will be able to learn whether or not you can have your juvenile record sealed.

Speak With An Orange County Juvenile Criminal Defense Lawyer

The process of sealing your juvenile criminal record can be long, confusing, and difficult. Speak with an Orange County juvenile criminal defense lawyer at the Law Office of Katie Walsh today, and we will help you do so.

Client Reviews

I hired attorney Katie Walsh to help my son when he was found with a large amount of drugs on school campus. She got us through the Expulsion Hearing, and miraculously he can go back to school at the winter semester...

AR- parent of minor client

I hired Katie Walsh to have my felony convictions expunged. She was able to expunge my record within 6 weeks of me giving her all the information. Even though technically I had a probation violation, and therefore the...

AR, criminal client

My 16 year old son was charged with possession of Marijuana, HS 11357(b). I was very concerned about what would happen to him and how this would affect his future. I contacted Ms. Walsh and she assured me that everything...

CT, parent of juvenile client

My child was charged with Felony Penal Code 597(a)- Animal Cruelty. After hiring Katie Walsh, she got the charges reduced to a misdemeanor, counseling, and 40 hours of chores at home. We come back in 6 months and the...

DH - Parent of Juvenile client

I hired Katie Walsh to represent my son on sexual abuse allegations- P.C. 288(a) and P.C. 288(b)- they were Strike Charges. After negotiating with the D.A., she got all the strike charges dismissed, and got my son...

DR- mother of juvenile client

Katie Walsh was fantastic throughout this entire process! My 13 year old son was charged with two counts of lewd act on a minor, PC 288(a) and was in juvenile hall. After hiring Ms. Walsh, she GOT MY SON OUT OF JAIL and...

EG, parent of juvenile client

My 14 year old son was arrested at school for P.C. 311 (child pornography). My son had innocent and stupid nude pictures of himself and friends on his phone. Ms. Walsh was extremely easy to talk to, and made my son feel...

GK,TK, parents of juvenile client

Ms. Walsh was a life saver when I didn't know what was going on, or how to handle the situation. My young daughter was attacked at her middle school and was seriously injured. At a time when both the school and the...

HA, mother of 13 year old Victim Rights client

I hired Katie Walsh to seal my juvenile record of PC 288(a) (lewd act on a minor), after my request had been denied by a Judge and by the Probation Department. After speaking with Probation, the DA and the Judge at a...

JW, former juvenile client

I was charged with a Felony Conspiracy charge- PC 182. After hiring Ms. Walsh she got my charged reduced to a misdemeanor right away, and now I just have to do community service and in 6 months my entire case will be...

KP, juvenile client

Ms. Walsh was like a breath of fresh air throughout this entire process. I was uncertain about the outcome, but she told me everything would be ok- and it was. She had my juvenile record sealed within 3 months of...

LR, former juvenile client

Ms. Walsh got the judge to terminate my son's probation and seal his 2 juvenile cases (Penal Code 288(a) and Penal Code 242) even though he had violated my probation by picking up a new case. By getting his record sealed...

MB- mother of juvenile client

At a very difficult time in my life I contacted attorney Katie Walsh. I am a teacher and was being harassed/stalked by a parent at my school. I wanted a Restraining Order against this person. Ms. Walsh listened to me...

MB, restraining order client

My son was charged with Lewd Conduct, P.C. 647 out of Downey, CA. After hiring Ms. Walsh, she spoke with the District Attorney, Probation, and the Judge. Even though the judge was not pleased with the offer, she was able...

MG, parent of minor

It is with sincere gratitude that I send this recommendation As a parent of a child that was arrested on a Felony Domestic Abuse charge and over 2000 miles away I had to rely on friend of a friends word that you would...

MPF, mother of criminal client

I really liked having Ms. Walsh as my attorney. She visited me in Juvenile Hall. I was charged with four counts of Robbery (Penal Code 211). This was my 8th juvenile petition. Ms. Walsh got 2 of the robbery charges...

MU, juvenile client

I was arrested for a felony Domestic charge, PC 273.5(a). After I hired Katie Walsh, my entire case was dismissed. I never had to appear in court. I felt very comfortable with Ms. Walsh- she was easy to speak with...

NF, criminal client

Katie was instrumental in helping me with a criminal matter as an advocate for me and my children when I was a named victim in a DV case. She patiently and expediently addressed all of my questions and was an invaluable...


My daughter was pulled over arrested for having a Fake ID. After hiring Ms. Walsh my daughter did not have to plead guilty- which would have affected her license status. She did community service, completed a legal...


My 14 year old daughter was involved in an assault and battery- PC 240/242, in Irvine. After hiring Katie Walsh the case was not referred to Court. My daughter was able to complete a class and the case will be dismissed...

SG, mother a juvenile client

My son was charged with possession of Child Pornography P.C. 311.11(a) - a charge I did not realize a child could be guilty of! As parents were beside ourselves when we found this out, and contacted Katie Walsh. She...

SH- mother of juvenile client

From San Diego I contacted Ms. Walsh about sealing my juvenile record in Orange County regarding a Petty Theft charge. She was always very responsive to any of my questions, and consistently kept me updated. Even though...

XL, juvenile client

Contact Us Now


Free Consultation (714) 351-0178