View profile on Avvo
Avvo Rating 10
10 Best
The National Trial Lawyers

Will Your Child’s Juvenile Criminal Records Be Expunged When They Become An Adult?


The answer to the question outlined above is complex. But rest assured, if you have a child with a juvenile criminal record, it is very likely that this record will not be a problem for them when they become an adult.

Going over what can happen to your child’s juvenile criminal records when they become an adult and speaking with a juvenile criminal defense lawyer will allow you and your child to obtain the best possible outcome.

What Happens To Your Child’s Juvenile Criminal Records?

Your child’s juvenile criminal records are confidential. What this means is that before your child turns eighteen, the records that refer to any sort of criminal proceedings are inaccessible to most people/organizations.

Just as an example, if your child was arrested for shoplifting, then it’s likely that there is a police record referring to this incident, as well as a court record.

Even though these records exist, generally speaking, there are only five groups of people who have the ability to access them directly. And these groups are as follows:

  • Your child.
  • You, as the child’s parent or legal guardian.
  • The court personnel who are handling or have handled your child’s case.
  • The law enforcement officers who are handling or have handled your child’s case.
  • The probation officers who are handling, or have handled your child’s case.

Outside of those people, no one has direct access to your child’s juvenile criminal records. And, if someone who does not belong to those groups of people wants to access them, then they must petition the court and obtain a court order from a judge who presides over your child’s case to do so.

Will Your Child’s Juvenile Criminal Records Be Expunged When They Become An Adult?

The answer to the question is “Yes, but only in certain contexts.”

Some juvenile criminal records are automatically expunged when your child becomes an adult. And, this is the case when your child:

  • Successfully completes their court-ordered probation.
  • Successfully complete their court-ordered probation after admitting to their charges as part of a Deferred Entry Of Judgment.
  • Successfully completes their court-ordered pre-petition diversion program.
  • Has their case dismissed by the juvenile court.
  • Commits an offense that is not outlined within Section 707(b) of the Welfare and Institutions Code.

Outside of that, if your child’s juvenile records are not expunged, they can fill out a form and request that the court do so. If this request is successful, then it will be as if your child never had a criminal record.

On the other hand, if your child is charged as an adult, then the process of expungement is both very different and considerably more challenging. But, if they aren’t, then expungement is relatively easy and simple.

Speak With An Orange County Juvenile Criminal Defense Lawyer Today

Even though expunging a juvenile criminal record is relatively simple and easy, you certainly don’t need to do it alone. 

Speak with an Orange County juvenile criminal defense lawyer at the Law Office of Katie Walsh today, and we will assist you and your child in expunging their criminal record.

Client Reviews

I hired attorney Katie Walsh to help my son when he was found with a large amount of drugs on school campus. She got us through the Expulsion Hearing, and miraculously he can go back to school at the winter semester...

AR- parent of minor client

I hired Katie Walsh to have my felony convictions expunged. She was able to expunge my record within 6 weeks of me giving her all the information. Even though technically I had a probation violation, and therefore the...

AR, criminal client

My 16 year old son was charged with possession of Marijuana, HS 11357(b). I was very concerned about what would happen to him and how this would affect his future. I contacted Ms. Walsh and she assured me that everything...

CT, parent of juvenile client

My child was charged with Felony Penal Code 597(a)- Animal Cruelty. After hiring Katie Walsh, she got the charges reduced to a misdemeanor, counseling, and 40 hours of chores at home. We come back in 6 months and the...

DH - Parent of Juvenile client

I hired Katie Walsh to represent my son on sexual abuse allegations- P.C. 288(a) and P.C. 288(b)- they were Strike Charges. After negotiating with the D.A., she got all the strike charges dismissed, and got my son...

DR- mother of juvenile client

Katie Walsh was fantastic throughout this entire process! My 13 year old son was charged with two counts of lewd act on a minor, PC 288(a) and was in juvenile hall. After hiring Ms. Walsh, she GOT MY SON OUT OF JAIL and...

EG, parent of juvenile client

My 14 year old son was arrested at school for P.C. 311 (child pornography). My son had innocent and stupid nude pictures of himself and friends on his phone. Ms. Walsh was extremely easy to talk to, and made my son feel...

GK,TK, parents of juvenile client

Ms. Walsh was a life saver when I didn't know what was going on, or how to handle the situation. My young daughter was attacked at her middle school and was seriously injured. At a time when both the school and the...

HA, mother of 13 year old Victim Rights client

I hired Katie Walsh to seal my juvenile record of PC 288(a) (lewd act on a minor), after my request had been denied by a Judge and by the Probation Department. After speaking with Probation, the DA and the Judge at a...

JW, former juvenile client

I was charged with a Felony Conspiracy charge- PC 182. After hiring Ms. Walsh she got my charged reduced to a misdemeanor right away, and now I just have to do community service and in 6 months my entire case will be...

KP, juvenile client

Ms. Walsh was like a breath of fresh air throughout this entire process. I was uncertain about the outcome, but she told me everything would be ok- and it was. She had my juvenile record sealed within 3 months of...

LR, former juvenile client

Ms. Walsh got the judge to terminate my son's probation and seal his 2 juvenile cases (Penal Code 288(a) and Penal Code 242) even though he had violated my probation by picking up a new case. By getting his record sealed...

MB- mother of juvenile client

At a very difficult time in my life I contacted attorney Katie Walsh. I am a teacher and was being harassed/stalked by a parent at my school. I wanted a Restraining Order against this person. Ms. Walsh listened to me...

MB, restraining order client

My son was charged with Lewd Conduct, P.C. 647 out of Downey, CA. After hiring Ms. Walsh, she spoke with the District Attorney, Probation, and the Judge. Even though the judge was not pleased with the offer, she was able...

MG, parent of minor

It is with sincere gratitude that I send this recommendation As a parent of a child that was arrested on a Felony Domestic Abuse charge and over 2000 miles away I had to rely on friend of a friends word that you would...

MPF, mother of criminal client

I really liked having Ms. Walsh as my attorney. She visited me in Juvenile Hall. I was charged with four counts of Robbery (Penal Code 211). This was my 8th juvenile petition. Ms. Walsh got 2 of the robbery charges...

MU, juvenile client

I was arrested for a felony Domestic charge, PC 273.5(a). After I hired Katie Walsh, my entire case was dismissed. I never had to appear in court. I felt very comfortable with Ms. Walsh- she was easy to speak with...

NF, criminal client

Katie was instrumental in helping me with a criminal matter as an advocate for me and my children when I was a named victim in a DV case. She patiently and expediently addressed all of my questions and was an invaluable...


My daughter was pulled over arrested for having a Fake ID. After hiring Ms. Walsh my daughter did not have to plead guilty- which would have affected her license status. She did community service, completed a legal...


My 14 year old daughter was involved in an assault and battery- PC 240/242, in Irvine. After hiring Katie Walsh the case was not referred to Court. My daughter was able to complete a class and the case will be dismissed...

SG, mother a juvenile client

My son was charged with possession of Child Pornography P.C. 311.11(a) - a charge I did not realize a child could be guilty of! As parents were beside ourselves when we found this out, and contacted Katie Walsh. She...

SH- mother of juvenile client

From San Diego I contacted Ms. Walsh about sealing my juvenile record in Orange County regarding a Petty Theft charge. She was always very responsive to any of my questions, and consistently kept me updated. Even though...

XL, juvenile client

Contact Us Now


Free Consultation (714) 351-0178