Restraining Orders

If you are being harassed, abused, or hurt by another person you can get a restraining order through the court system that will legally “restrain” the person from contacting you. If a restraining order is being brought against you, you’ll want to defend against it because it gets filed in a California system (“CLETS”) and can come up on background checks, or effect a job/security clearance.

Types of Restraining Orders

  • Emergency Protective Order/ Temporary Restraining Order
  • Civil Harassment Restraining Order
  • Domestic Violence Protective Order
  • Elder(65 or older) and Dependent Adult Restraining Order
  • Criminal Restraining Order
  • Workplace Violence Restraining Order

Domestic Violence Restraining Order

  • If you are the victim of domestic violence you can obtain a Domestic Violence Restraining Order requiring the abuser to stay away from you
  • Qualifies under Domestic Violence if you are:
    • Married or Registered domestic partners
    • Divorced or Separated
    • Dating or used to Date
    • Lived together or Used to Live together
    • Child/Children in common
    • Closely related (parent, child, brother, sister, grandparent)
  • The court can order the abuser to:
    • Leave the house or apartment that you share (even if it’s in the abusers name)
    • Have a police escort while retrieving belongings
    • Pay costs resulting from any abuse
    • The court can grant you custody of your children

Civil Harassment Restraining Order

  • A civil harassment restraining order is a court order that protects people from violence, harassment, threats of violence, and stalking.
  • You can request a Civil Harassment Restraining Order if a person has seriously harassed you, abused, sexually assaulted, or stalked AND you are scared, feel harassed or seriously annoyed
  • Generally applies to non-family members: to a neighbor, friend, roommate, someone you are not related to, or an extended family member
  • Does NOT apply to spouses, boyfriend/girlfriend or any domestic relationship (NEED TO DOMESTIC VIOLENCE RESTRAINING ORDER)

Elder or Dependant Adult Restraining Order

  • An Elder or Dependent Adult Restraining Order may be granted if you are 65 years or older OR between 18-64 and have certain mental/physical disabilities that keep you from being able to do normal activities, AND
  • You are a victim of Physical Abuse, Financial Abuse, Neglect or Abandonment, Treatment that has mentally hurt you, Duties being withheld by a Caregiver

Workplace Violence Restraining Order

  • A Workplace Violence Restraining Order may be granted if you are an employer, AND
  • The restraining order is needed to protect an employee who has suffered harassment, stalking, or threats of violence
  • An employee cannot ask for a workplace restraining order (request a civil restraining order).

There are 2 stages to the process:

  • A Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) Hearing: For a temporary restraining order- The court is asked to grant an immediate order restraining the person from having contact with person seeking the order (for approximately 10 days). An attempt must be made to notify the other person of the TRO hearing but this may be done by telephone. Regardless of whether the TRO is granted, a date is set to hear the permanent restraining order matter about 3-weeks later. If the TRO is granted the restrained person can have no contact with the person who requested the order. If the person violated the order then he/she can be arrested for violating a court order and charged with a criminal act.
  • A Restraining Order (RO) Hearing: This hearing is conducted like a regular civil hearing where all the rules of evidence apply. The person seeking the order must show by clear and convincing evidence that the person who is being restrained has threatened them, or harassed them sufficiently to deserve a restraining order. Witnesses and the parties themselves may testify at this hearing under oath. It is then left to the Judge to make the final decision. A restraining order hearing can result in a 3-year order where the restrained person may have no contact with the person who requested the order. In addition, the existence of the restraining order gets reported on the CLETS system which means that all law enforcement are made aware of the order. Also, background checks may reveal the existence of a restraining order.

File a Restraining Order Today

Contact Orange County defense attorney Katie Walsh if you need help with Restraining Orders, Emergency Protective Orders, or any other criminal matter. You can reach attorney Walsh by dialing (714) 351-0178 or by reaching out online using our confidential contact form.

Client Reviews

I hired attorney Katie Walsh to help my son when he was found with a large amount of drugs on school campus. She got us through the Expulsion Hearing, and miraculously he can go back to school at the winter semester...

AR- parent of minor client

I hired Katie Walsh to have my felony convictions expunged. She was able to expunge my record within 6 weeks of me giving her all the information. Even though technically I had a probation violation, and therefore the...

AR, criminal client

My 16 year old son was charged with possession of Marijuana, HS 11357(b). I was very concerned about what would happen to him and how this would affect his future. I contacted Ms. Walsh and she assured me that everything...

CT, parent of juvenile client

My child was charged with Felony Penal Code 597(a)- Animal Cruelty. After hiring Katie Walsh, she got the charges reduced to a misdemeanor, counseling, and 40 hours of chores at home. We come back in 6 months and the...

DH - Parent of Juvenile client

I hired Katie Walsh to represent my son on sexual abuse allegations- P.C. 288(a) and P.C. 288(b)- they were Strike Charges. After negotiating with the D.A., she got all the strike charges dismissed, and got my son...

DR- mother of juvenile client

Katie Walsh was fantastic throughout this entire process! My 13 year old son was charged with two counts of lewd act on a minor, PC 288(a) and was in juvenile hall. After hiring Ms. Walsh, she GOT MY SON OUT OF JAIL and...

EG, parent of juvenile client

My 14 year old son was arrested at school for P.C. 311 (child pornography). My son had innocent and stupid nude pictures of himself and friends on his phone. Ms. Walsh was extremely easy to talk to, and made my son feel...

GK,TK, parents of juvenile client

Ms. Walsh was a life saver when I didn't know what was going on, or how to handle the situation. My young daughter was attacked at her middle school and was seriously injured. At a time when both the school and the...

HA, mother of 13 year old Victim Rights client

I hired Katie Walsh to seal my juvenile record of PC 288(a) (lewd act on a minor), after my request had been denied by a Judge and by the Probation Department. After speaking with Probation, the DA and the Judge at a...

JW, former juvenile client

I was charged with a Felony Conspiracy charge- PC 182. After hiring Ms. Walsh she got my charged reduced to a misdemeanor right away, and now I just have to do community service and in 6 months my entire case will be...

KP, juvenile client

Ms. Walsh was like a breath of fresh air throughout this entire process. I was uncertain about the outcome, but she told me everything would be ok- and it was. She had my juvenile record sealed within 3 months of...

LR, former juvenile client

Ms. Walsh got the judge to terminate my son's probation and seal his 2 juvenile cases (Penal Code 288(a) and Penal Code 242) even though he had violated my probation by picking up a new case. By getting his record sealed...

MB- mother of juvenile client

At a very difficult time in my life I contacted attorney Katie Walsh. I am a teacher and was being harassed/stalked by a parent at my school. I wanted a Restraining Order against this person. Ms. Walsh listened to me...

MB, restraining order client

My son was charged with Lewd Conduct, P.C. 647 out of Downey, CA. After hiring Ms. Walsh, she spoke with the District Attorney, Probation, and the Judge. Even though the judge was not pleased with the offer, she was able...

MG, parent of minor

It is with sincere gratitude that I send this recommendation As a parent of a child that was arrested on a Felony Domestic Abuse charge and over 2000 miles away I had to rely on friend of a friends word that you would...

MPF, mother of criminal client

I really liked having Ms. Walsh as my attorney. She visited me in Juvenile Hall. I was charged with four counts of Robbery (Penal Code 211). This was my 8th juvenile petition. Ms. Walsh got 2 of the robbery charges...

MU, juvenile client

I was arrested for a felony Domestic charge, PC 273.5(a). After I hired Katie Walsh, my entire case was dismissed. I never had to appear in court. I felt very comfortable with Ms. Walsh- she was easy to speak with...

NF, criminal client

Katie was instrumental in helping me with a criminal matter as an advocate for me and my children when I was a named victim in a DV case. She patiently and expediently addressed all of my questions and was an invaluable...


My daughter was pulled over arrested for having a Fake ID. After hiring Ms. Walsh my daughter did not have to plead guilty- which would have affected her license status. She did community service, completed a legal...


My 14 year old daughter was involved in an assault and battery- PC 240/242, in Irvine. After hiring Katie Walsh the case was not referred to Court. My daughter was able to complete a class and the case will be dismissed...

SG, mother a juvenile client

My son was charged with possession of Child Pornography P.C. 311.11(a) - a charge I did not realize a child could be guilty of! As parents were beside ourselves when we found this out, and contacted Katie Walsh. She...

SH- mother of juvenile client

From San Diego I contacted Ms. Walsh about sealing my juvenile record in Orange County regarding a Petty Theft charge. She was always very responsive to any of my questions, and consistently kept me updated. Even though...

XL, juvenile client

Contact Us Now


Free Consultation (714) 351-0178